The Former Canal Zone Panama
This area also known as the Reverted Areas included the canal and a corridor of approximately 8,1km each side of the canal, it included an area of over 1430km2 and excluded the areas in Panama City and Colon. This area was under the control of the United States, and was created in 1903 with the signing of the Hay-Bunau Varilla Treaty, which included the artificial lakes which were later created. The zone was abolished in 1979 and run jointly by US and Panamanian officials, and full control was taken by Panama in 1999.
Due to the development by the US as well as the infrastructure, one will find many US influenced buildings and amenities in the area. The amenities were constructed to service the residents, as well as the US military personnel stationed in Panama. The zone was divided into the Atlantic and the Pacific side.
The Atlantic side included the townships of Ancón, Balboa, Balboa Heights, Cardenas, Corozal, Diablo, Diablo Heights, Gamboa, La Boca, Los Ríos, Paraíso, Pedro Miguel, Red Tank (abandoned in the 1950s), Curundu, Curundu Heights, Cocoli, and Rosseau. The military installations included Fort Amador, Fort Clayton, Corozal Army Post, Fort Kobbe, Rodman Marine Barracks, Albrook Air Force Base, Howard Air Force Base and Quarry Heights. The Pacific side was made up of the townships Brazos Heights, Coco Solo, Cristóbal, Gatún, Margarita, Mount Hope, and Rainbow City; with military installations of Fort Gulick, Galeta Island, Fort Randolph (now an abandoned military base), Fort Davis, and Fort Sherman. Some of the areas have however become neglected.
When the Canal Zone was reverted to the Panama authorities a lot of these areas became and still are extremely popular residential areas, due to the infrastructure and established townships. With golf courses and nature reserves scattered around, one has the opportunity of living close to nature, in established and centrally located suburbs